Hello wonderful people! It’s time for another recipe post on the blog. This time I’m sharing with you a true weekend favorite of mine. In the weekend I love to have a drink around 4/5 o’clock – mostly on Saturday – and of course we need some bits to snack along with over our wines. These sweet potato bites are one of my absolute favorites. They’re comforting, filling and tasteful. The key ingredient is a few sweet potatoes – whut, what a surprise Frederique! – and you can be very creative with the toppings. I’ve already tried many toppings, like vegan tzatziki, grilled vegetables, spicy tomato sauce and vegan cheese, peanut butter, you name it. But let me share you my two favorite toppings with you guys today…
INGREDIENTS (for 2 persons):
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 3 middle sized ones
- home-made carrot hummus:
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 4 carrots (I prefer them cooked)
- 1 tablespoon of tahin
- 1 clove of garlic
- little bit of lemon juice
- any spices you like (I added smoked paprika and tumeric)
- bit of sambal oelek or spicy ketchup
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- black sesame seeds
- pepper & salt
- olive oil or coconut oil
LET’S GET COOKING:
- Start off slicing the sweet potatoes in slices of 1 cm thick. Try to make all slices sort of the same shape and size, so you know they all get cooked well through. Not be a total perfectionist however. It’s food, it will end up in your tummy anyway!
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil or coconut oil over the potato slices and season them with some pepper and salt.
- Bake the slices of sweet potato in a pre-heated oven (180 °C) for about 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven.
- While the slices are baking away, go ahead and make the carrot hummus. Blend all the ingredients into a fluffy, smooth hummus in a blender or a food processor. Use extra water if you like it a little less thick. The water will make it fluffier.
- Once the slices are nicely baked, it’s time to ensemble the potato bites. I’ve made one badge with the carrot hummus and a little but of spicy sauce (I’ve used sambal oelek), and the other badge with sliced avocado. Garnish the plate with black sesame seeds and it’s time to snack! Enjoy!